Editor’s be aware: This submit has been up to date with new info and provides. Citi is a TPG promoting companion.
Citi Premier® Card overview
The Citi Premier® Card is an under-the-radar gem with an exceptional vary of bonus classes. Whereas the cardboard isn’t as robust on the redemption aspect as comparable choices from Chase or Amex, the flexibility to earn 3 factors per greenback on air journey, inns, gasoline stations, supermarkets and eating places (together with takeout) for simply $95 a 12 months remains to be a reasonably nice deal. Card ranking*: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
* Card ranking is predicated on the opinion of TPG’s editors and isn’t influenced by the cardboard issuer.
This card is likely one of the finest earners on on a regular basis spending. It accrues 3 factors per greenback on air journey, inns, gasoline stations, eating places and supermarkets. Not unhealthy for a card with a $95 annual payment.
Not solely that, however the factors you earn with the Citi Premier are among the many most versatile rewards currencies and are value 1.8 cents every by TPG valuations. That’s as a result of Citi has improved the ThankYou Rewards program considerably through the years to compete with American Categorical Membership Rewards and Chase Final Rewards.
Right here’s what else it is best to find out about this card — and why you may need to apply now.
Associated: The perfect Citi bank cards
Citi Premier welcome supply
The Citi Premier is at present providing 60,000 bonus factors after you spend $4,000 on purchases inside the first three months of account opening. Citi makes use of a slightly attention-grabbing rule to find out bonus eligibility, although.
You received’t have the ability to earn the bonus on the Citi Premier should you’ve opened or closed the Citi Rewards+® Card, Citi ThankYou® Most well-liked*, Citi Premier or Citi Status® Card* within the final 24 months. Most issuers depend that point solely based mostly on whenever you opened a card or acquired a bonus, however with Citi, your clock additionally resets should you shut a card, so it’s all within the timing.
*The Citi ThankYou Most well-liked and Citi Status are not out there for brand new candidates. The knowledge for the Citi Status has been collected independently by The Factors Man. The cardboard particulars on this web page haven’t been reviewed or offered by the cardboard issuer.
Join our day by day e-newsletter
There’s a $95 annual payment on the Citi Premier.
Associated: The final word information to bank card software restrictions
Incomes factors with the Citi Premier
The Citi Premier’s incomes construction is one facet the place the cardboard shines. Cardholders earn 3 factors per greenback on purchases within the following classes, with no caps or annual limits:
The cardboard additionally earns 1 level per greenback on all different purchases.
These incomes charges are among the many most spectacular of any journey rewards card, particularly contemplating the Citi Premier’s inexpensive annual payment.
Nonetheless, to coincide with the launch of Citi Journey with Reserving.com, Premier cardholders can earn 10 factors per greenback on bookings for inns, rental vehicles and eligible sights when reserving by the portal by June 30, 2024.
Associated: The 8 finest bank cards with annual charges below $100
Citi Premier advantages
The Citi Premier can also be a best choice for vacationers, due to its participation within the ThankYou Rewards program, which at present has 14 airline switch companions and two lodge companions.
When you’ll discover that lots of the frequent-flyer packages are these of worldwide airways, there are nonetheless some high-value (and simply redeemable) awards to be booked by them.
As an illustration, you may leverage Air France-KLM Flying Blue miles for respectable business-class award availability on these airways and their SkyTeam companions, get some phenomenal offers on Star Alliance awards utilizing Avianca LifeMiles and offset paid fares with JetBlue TrueBlue.
You may also redeem your ThankYou Factors for journey instantly by the Citi portal at a fee of 1 cent every, however that’s properly under TPG’s valuation of ThankYou factors at 1.8 cents every, a quantity derived partly from Citi’s intensive checklist of switch companions.
Associated: The final word information to Citi ThankYou Rewards
CITI PREMIER BENEFITS
A lot of the Citi Premier’s worth proposition comes from its potential to earn bonus factors in a slew of classes with out charging a hefty annual payment. As such, you shouldn’t anticipate an amazing variety of perks, however there are a number of advantages of this card that may assist you to recoup your annual payment:
- $100 annual lodge credit score: You’ll get pleasure from a $100 credit score as soon as per calendar 12 months for single-stay lodge bookings of $500 or extra (excluding taxes and costs) made by the Citi journey portal.
- Prolonged guarantee safety: Provides 24 months to a producer’s guarantee.
- Injury and theft safety: Repairs or replaces an merchandise broken or stolen inside 90 days of buy (as much as $10,000 per incident and $50,000 per 12 months).
- World Elite Mastercard advantages: As a World Elite Mastercard, the Citi Premier confers a number of travel-related perks that buyers may not find out about. These embody a $5 month-to-month Lyft credit score after taking three rides in a calendar month and entry to the Mastercard luxurious inns and resorts portfolio for on-property perks like complimentary breakfast and room upgrades upon availability. Via the World Elite Mastercard program, you’ll additionally get pleasure from perks like cellphone safety and World Emergency Companies.
- Citi® Leisure: This program offers cardholders particular entry to buy tickets to 1000’s of occasions — from live shows and sporting occasions to distinctive eating experiences and film screenings — earlier than most of the people should buy them.
- No overseas transaction charges: Like all good journey card, the Citi Premier means that you can journey freely with out incurring a payment on worldwide spending.
Which playing cards compete with the Citi Premier?
As an inexpensive journey rewards card, the Citi Premier has just a few direct opponents that is likely to be a greater match for you:
- When you desire Chase playing cards: The Chase Sapphire Most well-liked Card, with an annual payment of $95, competes instantly with the Citi Premier. Whereas Chase’s switch companions (together with United MileagePlus and Southwest Fast Rewards) is likely to be extra useful for a lot of vacationers, there are some overlaps, together with Singapore KrisFlyer, Emirates Skywards and Virgin Atlantic Flying Membership. For extra info, learn our full evaluation of the Sapphire Most well-liked.
- In order for you a flat earnings fee: Attempt the Capital One Enterprise Rewards Credit score Card. It, too, costs a $95 annual payment, however this card comes with a much less profitable (however a lot less complicated) incomes fee of two miles per greenback on all purchases. As a substitute of an annual lodge credit score, you’ll rise up to a $100 World Entry or TSA PreCheck software credit score as soon as each 4 years with the Enterprise. You’ll even get two annual lounge visits per 12 months to Capital One’s nascent community of airport lounges — or use these passes at over 100 Plaza Premium lounge areas. For extra info, learn our full evaluation of the Enterprise Rewards.
- In order for you a great deal of perks: One of many Citi Premier’s closest opponents over at American Categorical is the American Categorical® Gold Card, which earns 4 factors per greenback at eating places, 4 factors per greenback at U.S. supermarkets on the primary $25,000 in purchases per calendar 12 months (then 1 per greenback), 3 factors per greenback on flights booked instantly with airways or by Amex Journey and 1 level per greenback on different eligible purchases. The Amex Gold Card additionally comes with as much as $10 in month-to-month eating credit at choose eating places (as much as $120 in annual assertion credit) and as much as $10 in month-to-month U.S. Uber Money (as much as $120 yearly), offsetting nearly all of the $250 annual payment (see charges and costs). Enrollment is required for choose advantages. For extra info, learn our full evaluation of the Citi Premier.
For added choices, try our full checklist of journey rewards playing cards.
Learn extra: Chase Sapphire Most well-liked vs. Citi Premier: Which mid-tier journey card is best?
Regardless of a bevy of opponents, the Citi Premier’s lengthy checklist of bonus classes and strong sign-up bonus make it some of the profitable points-earning playing cards in its worth vary. The strong of ThankYou Rewards switch companions makes this card compelling, particularly for vacationers who want the flexibleness to redeem factors with numerous loyalty packages. It is value a glance should you’re a fan of Citi.
Official software hyperlink: Citi Premier Card with 60,000 bonus ThankYou factors after $4,000 in spending within the first three months of account opening.
Extra reporting by Ryan Wilcox, Stella Shon, Eric Rosen and Christina Ly.
For charges and costs of the Amex Gold Card, click on right here.
Leave a Reply