Excerpted from “Convey Historical past and Civics to Life” by Karalee Wong Nakatsuka and Laurel Aguilar-Kirchhoff. ©2022 Worldwide Society for Expertise in Schooling. Reproduced with permission from the writer.
Edtech to Join
There are a lot of methods we are able to harness instructional expertise to construct neighborhood inside our school rooms and to carry college students into the worldwide neighborhood. ISTE Scholar Normal 1.7 World Collaborator provides a framework for the right way to strategy this: “College students use digital instruments to broaden their views and enrich their studying by collaborating with others and dealing successfully in groups domestically and globally.”
There are a lot of edtech instruments that assist foster neighborhood constructing whereas offering world views and engagement for college kids, each inside and out of doors of the classroom. Incorporating world neighborhood connections into neighborhood constructing helps college students kind bridges between all of the communities they take part in. It could additionally open new avenues for college kids to see themselves as half of a bigger world neighborhood and provides them new consciousness and understanding of their place on the planet.
- What It Is: A digital archive of recorded interviews and private tales that convey the humanity of individuals from all around the world. “StoryCorps’ mission is to protect and share humanity’s tales in an effort to construct connections between individuals and create a extra simply and compassionate world.”
- World Group Connection: College students can discover tales from throughout the nation and the world, or they’ll seek for particular tales that correlate with content material and initiatives for the classroom. College students have the chance to acknowledge the worldwide humanity that brings us collectively, together with views that could be completely different from their very own.
- What It Is: Whereas many lecturers and college students might already be conversant in creating short-form movies utilizing Flipgrid of their school rooms, there’s a distinctive alternative to attach with different college students and school rooms internationally utilizing Flipgrid GridPals.
- World Group Connection: After logging into their instructor accounts, lecturers can search and join with fellow educators from internationally. This enables lecturers to collaborate on studying experiences that make connections between their school rooms asynchronously by means of video (no time zone constraints) in a protected on-line studying expertise.
Digital Citizenship Institute
- What It Is: The Digital Citizenship Institute’s focus is on serving to our college students join the world by means of our shared citizenship in a digital world. It’s all about “humanizing the individual subsequent to you, world wide, and throughout the display screen. . . .In right now’s interconnected world, that is our alternative to place world schooling into follow to empower others to change into change makers for utilizing tech for good in native, world and digital communities.”
- World Group Connection: “DigCitKids” is one side of scholar engagement and neighborhood that’s accessible from the Digital Citizenship Institute. This initiative is targeted on creating digital citizenship alternatives for youths by youngsters, with a concentrate on fixing actual neighborhood issues.
- What It Is: Google Earth is extra than simply an internet map; it additionally gives assets, classes, and integrations for use with college students. These embody “. . . step-by-step guides and tutorials on Google’s Geo Instruments, inspirational tales, plus lesson plans, product info, and far more.”
- World Group Connection: Serving to college students study geography and place provides them a greater sense of the world and their place in it. These classes and assets are assorted and assist college students make connections between individuals, the land they inhabit, and their impression on it.
- What It Is: Making connections and collaborations with college students from dozens of nations internationally permits college students to learn, write, and create authentic initiatives. “PenPal Faculties join college students from 150 nations to make pals and uncover the world.”
- World Group Connection: College students can collaborate with college students from different nations on initiatives that matter to them. It is a distinctive alternative to not solely talk with college students from internationally but in addition work collectively on initiatives with an academic context.
- What It Is: It is a method to construct a worldwide neighborhood with different school rooms from internationally. It has been described as a worldwide guessing sport, wherein lecturers collaborate and have their lessons meet by way of Skype (or some other on-line conferencing platform), then have college students attempt to guess one another’s location. There are a lot of types of this “Thriller Skype” format, and lecturers might be artistic of their collaboration to arrange the actions (comparable to solely asking the opposite class sure or no questions).
- World Group Connection: With actions comparable to this, lecturers and college students join with school rooms internationally, broaden their cultural consciousness, and hone their geography expertise—whereas additionally collaborating as a category to guess the situation of the thriller classroom.
World Learn Aloud
- What It Is: What in case your college students might learn the identical e-book and collaborate with college students from internationally? They will! Annually throughout a six-week interval, the World Learn Aloud helps college students and lecturers join with assets and actions which might be primarily based on a standard e-book. Academics can join with different lessons from world wide which might be collaborating and resolve how a lot time they wish to dedicate and the way concerned they wish to be.
- World Group Connection: To make these world connections with different lessons, lecturers can harness the facility of edtech to attach utilizing instruments comparable to Skype, Twitter, Padlet, or Flipgrid. “Academics get a neighborhood of different educators to do a worldwide venture with, hopefully inspiring them to proceed these connections by means of the 12 months.”
Karalee Wong Nakatsuka, M.A. E.D., is a veteran center faculty U.S. historical past instructor. Additionally a Gilder Lehrman Grasp Instructor, she was acknowledged in 2019 because the Gilder Lehrman Historical past Instructor of the 12 months for California and was a high 10 finalist for the nationwide award. She serves on the American250 Historical past Schooling Advisory Council, the Gilder Lehrman Instructor Advisory Council and the Monticello Instructor Advisory Group. She’s a member of the California Council for the Social Research (CCSS), the Nationwide Council for the Social Research (NCSS), the iCivics Schooling Community and the Nationwide Council for Historical past Schooling (NCHE). Nakatsuka appeared within the New York Occasions multimedia story “What’s Really Being Taught in Historical past Class?” and was featured in an article in Time Journal’s September 2021 difficulty titled “From Academics to Custodians, Meet the Educators Who Saved a Pandemic College 12 months.” She’s obsessed with utilizing expertise to interact and excite college students; sharing the tales and the locations the place historical past occurred; constructing neighborhood in her classroom; and getting ready college students to develop as empathetic, knowledgeable, engaged and energetic crucial thinkers and residents who care and make a distinction on the planet.